The new (bigger) magnets did the trick, while still being small enough that I think they don’t upset the look of the journals, and I made a couple without magnets and used leather straps to hold them closed.
I’m experimenting with some new leather bound journals.
I sewed up the text blocks ages ago and didn’t know what to do with them after that, but we recently got a new couch and somebody suggest I use the leather from the old couch for book binding, so I decided to experiment with these ones.
After cutting all the leather off the couch, I glued it onto the text blocks. My technique could use some improvement, but I’m pretty happy with the final result. The four in the picture here all have a leather strap to wrap around and tie them closed.
There was one more that I tried using some rare earth magnets for a closing mechanism. I think it was a moderate success, but I need to come up with a better way of aligning the magnets, and use slightly larger magnets too. I’d bought some 10mm * 1mm magnets and they were just not quite strong enough.